RECIPES TO SET YOU IN MOTION...
There are basics to help you get started when creating plant-based recipes. Ingredients to keep on hand that are key to flavorful, hearty meals are important to have in your pantry. Baby steps my friends, keep it simple and eventually you will be adding more and more
to your plate!
Some staples (for now) are:
(use to thicken and give a "cheese" flavor
as well as add extra protein and vitamins
to your meal)
-unsweetened + unsalted applesauce
(pumpkin + sunflower)
(keep refrigerated and I keep white on hand)
-apple cider vinegar
-canned coconut milk + cream
** I will be adding more goodies to look out for!
Our first share!! Here is a delicious take on the traditional
"lobster meat" packed with protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.
Using oyster mushrooms, hearts of palm (sourced properly) and jackfruit, this meal will be both hearty and tasty.
I have included the brands I feel comfortable with and choosing only organic ingredients along with local when available.
Ingredients (all organic):
- 3 cans @edwardandsons hearts of palm (drain and slice oblique)
- 16 ounces of oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans of @edwardandsons young jackfruit
(drained, squeeze out extra water with cheese cloth and pull apart)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons @omsweethome non-dairy butter or @miyokoscreamery butter
- 1 shallot, sliced thinly
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 jar vegan mayo (32 ounces of @followyourheart)
- 1 ounce of chives + 1 ounce of dill, chopped
- 1 lemon (all the juice)
- 1/4 cup @braggs apple cider vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt (keep some aside in case you want to add at the end)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- old bay seasoning
1. Sauté mushrooms in 2 tablespoons om sweet home non-dairy butter or miyoko butter with garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and tablespoons of old bay seasoning (I make my own, but you can scoop some up at the grocery). Add in 1 bay leaf when sautéing and remove it out when the mushrooms are done cooking. Sauté in a skillet for about 15 min.
2. While the mushrooms are cooking, slice your hearts of palm and prepare your jackfruit, set aside in a large mixing bowl (you will add the mushrooms to that bowl once cooled).
For the wet mix:
3. In a large mixing bowl, add mayo, 1/4 cup melted butter, apple cider, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of pepper, 2 tablespoons of old bay seasoning, shallots, celery, chives, dill and lemon.
4. Once the mushrooms have cooled, add them to the bowl with jackfruit and heart of palm. Stir in a cup of the wet mix, stirring and adding as you go. Depending on taste, add more of any ingredient you like! Once it’s at room temp, place in frig. Enjoy right away or store in frig for 3-4 days.
**Serve in a lobster roll, some arugula lettuce and enjoy!